Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, January 19, 2020

Kayak Kamping Koreshan. Saturday

State Park, that is
 On the Estereo River at 9:39.  Would have been 10-20 minutes earlier, but I made a 8 mile detour on the Polk Parkway. I took the route through the middle of the State on State Highways instead of I-4 and I-75.  I could not find a street after exiting the Parkway. Maybe I went the wrong way. Turned around, but that put me back on the Parkway. Next exit, 4 miles. Got off, back on , back to where I came from.  Never found the street.  Used common sense and the compass on the rear view mirror to get in the right direction.
 Other than that, the drive was great.  Just the second time I have not taken the Interstates to Southwest Florida.  The other time, 1991, or 92, with Pat, Jeff, and Derek, a truck with farm workers tipped over, causing a major delay. That made me not want to do it again. I recall we took US 27. This time, from the Polk Parkway, which did not exist in 1992, I got on 17, to 70, to 31 to 80. Orange groves, cattle ranches, and small towns.
 My campsite was not available when I arrived.  The ranger said, "But number 7 is"  I went to take a look. 7 was occupied.  40 something was empty.  My site, number 32, looked better.  So I went back to the Ranger Station and said I would check in after kayaking.




 Down stream and down wind





Not sure if this is a shell mound, or is the River has been dredged
Great Calusa Blueway marker.  The Calusa were the original inhabitants of the area

 Estereo Bay.  Did not linger long, due to the wind













Stopped in a canal to have a few bites of a sandiwich. Out of the wind.





Went up an alternate channel
Dead end







 The creepy Barbie Doll Bridge




 Wharf remants?


 Landed at 1:35

Checked into my campsite
I had my new screen room with me, but left the stakes at home.  So, I did not set it up. I forgot a lot of things this trip.  Pillow, hamburger buns, wind up lantern.
Live music in the Art Hall


The Koreshans were a religious sect who believed the earth is inside a sphere. At one time there was a community with 60 buildings where the Park is today. The Art Hall is one of a handful of remaining structures. The group was celibate, mostly. One of the last surviving members convinced the State to set aside the property as State Park. "Celibate, mostly" is based on the mandolin player. He is a descendant of a Koreshans. It is complicated, he said. "Take the tour"


Head to Barefoot Beach Park.  Reminds be a bit of the entrance to Fort Zachary Taylor in Key West.  You first drive through a guard house for a community.  The road is longer, and the residences much larger, in Bonita Beach than the ones in Truman Annex.
There is a marked kayak trail on the bay side of the Park










Dolphin

Roseate spoonbill


Just a 45 minute paddle


I thought I would look the part at Barefoot Beach













Sunset.  Almost worth the $8 Park admission fee.  It is run by Collier County

Sign says to look under your car for gopher tortoises.


I had my hamburgers, bunless.  New Smokey Joe,

No comments: