Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, January 11, 2020

Myakka RIver




Campsite 59 in the Palmetto Ridge campground at Myakka River State Park was ready when I arrived.  Official check in time is 3:00 PM.  I was set up at 10 AM.



This is a relatively new campground.  Myakka River State Park is one of the original Florida State Park.  Built by the Civilian Conservation Corps during the Great Depression.  It had 2 camp grounds. Palmetto Ridge was added, ten or so years ago. I remember looking at some of the sites, no vegetation,  sites looked to be right on top of each other. I would never want to camp here, I thought.
Well, it is matured nicely.  My site was big, a nice screen of plants and trees dividing it from my one neighbor.  The other side, forest and swamp.
 Driving to Upper Lake Myakka to do a car-bike shuttle.
 Views from where I left the kayak, just below the dam.

 Drove to the Park Road Bridge, left the car, hopped on the road bike.

 Walking to the kayak.






 On the River at 11:30.  The late start had an advantage.  I was able to get a report from another kayaker.  The rangers said the River was low.  I asked the guy if he ever had to walk. No.


 Glossy ibis







 Black necked stilt








 I got stuck, once. Because I went the wrong way
 The picnic table told me I was back on track






 Bald eagle




 Park Road Bridge














 Into the Wilderness Preserve. 15 permits a day.  Most people walk in.












 Eagle

 Eagle
 Lower Myakka Lake




 Very windy, so I turned around.  The wind pushed me up River.










 Gray catbird



 Black crowned night heron































 Landed at 3:50.

 IPA from Big Top Brewing in Sarasota
 Gator stew.  Portions are smaller than they used to be.  No croutons in the salad. Or anything, besides lettuce.

 Hog and deer.


My campsite at dusk

No comments: