Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, January 26, 2020

Pellicer Creek, Faver-Dykes State Park Saturday

I bought a set of Yakima Jay-low folding kayak cradles  from a guy who posted it in Facebook Marketplace.  Met him at a Walmart in New Smyrna Beach.  That raised the question, where will I camp and kayak this weekend?   For a while, it was looking like I would spend the night at home.  But, I think it was Wednesday, a site opened up at Faver-Dykes State Park,  about an hour north of New Smyrna Beach.



The site was ready when I arrived.  This was my third visit to Faver-Dykes State Park.  The last was sometime before July 1, 2006.  How do I know?  Because it was a weekday visit, and I began my current job on July 1, 2006.
All dirt roads in the Park.  This is the road to the boat ramp.
 On Pellicer Creek at 11:50.  The Creek flows into the Matanzas River.  At the confluence is a Flagler County Preserve, Princess Place.  The wind was pretty strong pushing me that way, so I went up the Creek, paddling into the wind to start.



 Bald eagle









 Interstate 95.  I do not think I made it this far on my two visits years ago.  They were pre, Dave's Yak Tales.  I usually would send an email about my adventures to friends and family in those long ago days.  I cannot find any for Faver-Dykes State Park and Pellicer Creek




The camera died after this picture. "Lens Error"  Same thing happened about a month ago. It recovered.  Hopefully, it will again.

So, I had to use the Olympus Tough.  Whose battery died after the above photo.
 My fancy phone has a camera.  U.S. 1.

 Pellicer Creek Campground.




 This is as far as I went up stream.  I could have skooshed over the log.  I'll wait for a day when I have a working camera
 I never returned to Faver-Dykes after those 2 long ago visits because, (A) It is so wide, it is hard to get wildlife photos, and, (B) If I was in that area, I would continue on to Anastasia State Park and St. Augustine.  Well, as the last few pics show, Pellicer Creek narrows considerably up stream from U.S. 1

 Pellicer Campground.  Private ownership.  Sites look pretty close together, with no buffer.


 Break at someone's launch


 I 95
 One of several nests under the freeway











 New dock at Faver-Dykes




Landed, got my backup camera out of the car, and continued paddling down Pellicer Creek.






 I had seen on the Princess Place website that, in addition to primitive camping, there are cottages that can be rented for $150.00 a night.  Was this one of them?  Later, I found pictures of the cottages. This is one.

 Another cottage. I assume, the only picture I have found was the earlier one

 Turned around here.

















 Landed at 5:47.
 Pretty good sunset.
Back to the campsite, fixed dinner, NY Strip and potato salad.  Stargazing walk. Sleep in my cozy trailer on a chilly nigh.

No comments: