Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, March 8, 2021

Econfina Creek, Saturday 3-6-2021

There is a new campground at Econfina Blue Springs.  3 free sites, reserveable through the Northwest Florida Water Management District.  I had a reservation for Saturday night. As it is 345 miles from home and work, my plan was to spend Friday night near Tallahassee, and make the final 90 minute or so drive to Econfina Creek on Saturday morning.  But, Frances S. got wind of my plans, and invited me to stay the night at her home in Marianna.  And provided a shuttle, Saturday morning. After a big breakfast
I was on the Creek at 10:52. 9:52 Central.  From the launch near Pitt Springs.   Above is the sign at the entrance to the Pitt Springs Recreation Area.
The run from Pitt Springs.  I have been here when the water was over the low concrete post, and was able to paddle into the spring.


After a short upstream paddle, I turned around and began the down Creek trip.

Highway 20






Gainer Springs





















The best thing about snorkeling on a cool morning? No one around when you are taking off your wet swim suit





























Hurricane Michael's wrath is still very evident 2.5 years later 
























Great blue heron





























Belted kingfisher









Turtle






I'm guessing this boat was very busy, clearing the Creek after Michael.   Speaking of boats, only saw one moving all day.



Highway 388, landed at 2. 1 PM Central
Entering the Blue Springs Recreation Area 

My campsite



There is a spot to launch near site 3.  I was in 2.  Site 1 was empty.  The occupants of site 3 and I recognized each other's vehicles from the 388 bridge.

The campground is on  dead end slough.
A short paddle to Blue Spring















Paddling up Econfina Creek. Current was swift



























Back at Blue Spring, I got out and walked around the day use area


















Landed at 5:17
Had a nice chat with my neighbors.  Wish I could remember the name of the environmental group one of them works for in Tallahassee.   Update. it is Defenders of Wildlife.  On Thursday, March 11 I received a survey/donation request in the mail.  That jarred my memory.  I had told Kent, (we never exchanged names, I just got it from the Defenders website) that his group was one of several I had made small donations to late in 2016 and early in 2017.  And I would not toss out the next donation request. Boy, they are good!   A donation is going out in Friday's mail.   I am not entirely altruistic.  I will be getting a windbreaker and tote bag. 
Went for a walk.  Saw deer tracks, but no deer.














Back at the spring, after dinner. 
Frogs that only need to lose their tadpole tails.


No comments: