Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, December 19, 2021

Canaveral National Seashore, Mosquito Lagoon


Beginning the bike portion of the car-bike shuttle.








On the water at 10:53.  Half hour for the 6 mile ride.  I remember, barely, when I pedaled at a 15 mph pace.








I wonder if this is natural shell accumulation or an indigenous garbage dump.



Ibis


 This looks like as shell mound to me.  There are 3 named ones in the National Seashore.  Seminole Rest, Turtle Mound, and Castle Windy





















Juvenile blue heron




Landed at Castle Windy




Trail to the Atlantic













Back to Mosquito Lagoon



The mosquitos were not too bad while walking but sitting at the picnic table for lunch was out of the question. 




Bald eagle. Too bad the good camera died on Saturday.




Eldora House











Saw several dolphins. No manatees.  Many have died of starvation in the Indian River over the last year.  As their main food source, seagrass, is dying 
Cormorant
Turtle Mound


The Park Service boat house has new siding and roof.

Landed at Turtle Mound

Walk up Turtle Mound
















Bagged oyster shells shoring up the Mound.




Bags of oyster shells are more appropriate than a concrete wall.  I wonder when it was built.

Landed at 3:20
Loaded the kayak, and stopped at the Eldora Hammock Trail on the way back to get my bike.
















Ending the day with a beach walk



Except for the birds, an empty beach.  Maybe the new $20 entry fee is keeping people away. Good for 7 days.  Free for me, with my Senior Pass.   Cost 80.00. Bought it at Everglades National Park, which has a $30 entry fee. 5 days at the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge at $10 a day, and I was even.  More than even, as one day 3 family members with me got in for free, and two on another day.







Home in time for the 4th quarter of the Packer game.  NFC North Champions !

No comments: