Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, December 5, 2021

Rock Springs Run


 Kelly Park, home to Rock Springs, is a place that I do not visit in the summertime. On weekends, the line to get in can be a mile long.  On a relatively cool December Sunday morning, one car was ahead of me, waiting for the Park to open at 8

Improved bridge, over the Run.  I had not seen it before, nor the new sidewalk that links it to the pool area.  Closer the Run, and does not use the staircase.  ADA complient on the weekend Bob Dole, died. 



I was in the water at 8:24










Floating down the Run











Out of the water, at 8:43

May have been in the low 50's as I walked back to the pool area where my clothes and towel were. 




Turkeys at Camp Joy as I arrived to launch the kayak
Launched at 9:23




Hidden deer. One of three





I paddled up Rock Springs Run from Camp Joy.  Before Orange County began to allow launching from Camp Joy, I would only paddle here after a 7 plus mile paddle upstream from  Wekiwa Springs State Park.  Half the time, the Run would be blocked.  I also had to duck under trees, and negotiate sharp turns.  Very few people would be on this most beautiful section of Rock Springs Run



The other side of this bridge is where I ended my earlier snorkel



Over the last several years, a private concession, Kings Landing, has heavily prompted this section on the Run, which they call, Emerald Cut.  And cut is has been.  No more downed trees, or trees to duck under. It is now easy enough for canoes and tourists in those stupid floating bathtubs, (clear "kayaks') to paddle up the Run. Probably 20 paddlers.  But, I had made the choice to snorkel, first, so people were on the Run by the time I was paddling.
Otter






















The canal to Kings Landing is ahead, on the left

Paddles were not moving. No breeze



Entering Wekiwa Springs State Park



 Not a pinata

























I went down the Run for about an hour from Kings Landing before turning around.























An alligator joined theses sunning turtles

The paddles were moving, a light breeze





Landed at 12:32
Drove to Wekiwa Springs State Park, and went for a bike ride on the Park road.


And then, a hike. I was disappointed to not see any maps at the trailhead.  Extremely disappointed when I asked a ranger about on the way out. They are no longer printing maps. "It is all digital"  What BS.  What happens if you don't have a smart phone?  Or drop it and it breaks?  Or your battery runs out?







1



Bear poop










New interpretive signage on the Sand Lake sidewalk


Old well?  In the parking lot near the Spring



Into Wekiwa Spring.





















No comments: