Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, December 27, 2021

Chipola River, Western Lake, Christmas Eve


 A deer greeted me as I arrived at Florida Caverns State Park at 9:15 AM. Christmas Eve.  The Park is in the Central Time Zone, so it had just opened at 8 AM CST


Santa and I were on the Chiopla River at 9:55.  Santa has been with me for about 10 years.  Except last year. So, this was his first time paddling the Panhandle.


Santa has been with me over Christmas since 2009, when he camped in the Seminole State Forest.  A co worker passed several Santas out that year.   Sadly, Carol died, shortly after she retired a few years ago.  So, having Santa brings a mix of memories.






This was Santa's first time in the Panhandle.  I forgot to bring him last year, when my base for the holiday way Topsail Preserve State Park.


Santa would have been soggy last Christmas Eve when I paddle Econfina Creek in the rain.
As you can see, clear skies in 2021.  After a cold start.  My car thermometer read 37 just after sunrise. 

Batzell Spring is 68 degrees























There is a strip of land between 2 springs.  I got out of water, and got in again from the small dock.



























We were being watched
 

Back in the kayak





 



This was my second visit to Batzel Spring since early November.   Cat 5 Hurricane Michael devasted the area in the fall of 2018.






There was a buck in here.










This arch, is an icon of the Chipola River. Somehow, I missed it in November

Santa joined the many people who have posed beneath it. 






Landed at 12:53
Went for a walk. 



Small cave.  I have taken the tour of the Caverns.  Not a thing I would want to do during Covid. That, and a lighthouse tour.










The limestone jutting on on the bluff trail is fascinating to me. 

Evidence of Hurricane Michael's power













Information about Hurricane Michael
CCC constructed, Visitor Center.   Having places to go, I did not visit. 
On the water again, Western Lake, Grayton Beach State Park







Western Lake is a coastal dune lake. Which are rare. Except in Walton County, Florida. Which has several.
Santa was pleased to be in a red, not a blue, sleigh.



I had a cabin reserved at Grayton Beach State Park.  The cabins are a mile and a half from the day use, camping area of the park.
Road to the beach from the cabins. I biked.

Just missed sunset


Still beautiful.










The "cabin"  More like bungalows.   Duplexes.  15 buildings, in 3 loops. So, 10 units in each loop.





Santa used to talk. Press his hand and he would say,

"The magic of Christmas, lies in your heart"

No comments: