Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, February 27, 2021

Pelican Island


 Pelicans, and cormorants, just off Pelican Island, Pelican Island National Wildlife Refuge


Family was in Indian Harbour Beach, and invited me for a visit.  So I looked for places to kayak in the area. Other than, Turkey Creek. That was on the itinerary for Sunday.

I may have overthought where to paddle, as I was not falling back to sleep after a 4AM bathroom visit. At 5, I said, may as well get out of bed.  Almost caught sunrise at one of the many Brevard County Parks along the Atlantic.  




My paddling pick, Pelican Island National Wildlife Refuge.  The Nation's first, established in 1903
A dirt road takes you from A1A, to the Refuge.   Jungle Road is the name.
The launch site is just outside the south end of the Refuge.  Two vehicles when I arrived.  An angler preparing to go out.  Like me, it was his first time here.
On the Indian River at 7:54



Observation platform for looking out to Pelican Island

Pelican, on an island.  Not Pelican Island




Pelican Island, below.  As it is a Refuge, you are not allowed to get close.

A good place for decent zoom capability

71


More woodstorks than pelicans on Pelican Island








After paddling around Pelican Island, I paddled south.  For two reasons.  To locate where I launched, and the wind was coming from that direction.  So, when I turned around, it would be at my back. 






Merganser



Wabasso Causeway
I turned around







More mergansers
Dolphin



I had an extended adventure.  Took a channel, which turned out to be circular.  Boy, the wind sure changed direction quickly.  Then I saw the Wabasso Causeway, again. No, dummy, you change direction  
Unseen, but heard, birds in the mangroves



Landed at 11:12
Went to explore the land based portion of the Refuge







Every Refuge is on the boardwalk.  In order of the year they were established.  Beginning with Pelican Island in 1903


Pelican Island from the observation platform

Trying to take a picture through the scope

























Walked almost 2.5 miles in the Refuge. Talked to a nice guide.  No admission charge.  Not crowded on  water or land, at all. But I was glad for my early start. The small parking area at the launch was full when I landed.

Also full, every public beach parking lot at I drove north.  Stopped at Sebastian Inlet State Park.  4 vehicles, including a camper at the Ranger Station.  I made a U-turn. I had a semi private beach to visit.
I had told my hosts, as I was kayaking a new destination, I was not sure when I would arrive. I was given instructions on letting myself in.

After letting myself in, I let myself out, for a beach walk





Max zoom for crowds at  public park.  I turned around

In looking for nearby places to paddle, I came across Oars and Paddles Park. 1.5 miles from the condo. "Oars" being local crew teams.  The dock is long, and low.  In he water at 6:08




A short paddle is better when accompanied by a dolphin







Swing bridge











Landed at 6:39
.

.Moonrise over the Atlantic, 7:08









































































































































































No comments: