Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, February 13, 2021

Canaveral National Seashore, Mosquito Lagoon


The East Central Florida Coastal waters forecast was light chop. Winds out of the south. Rain in the afternoon. Forecast was bit off. Big waves as I dropped of the kayak at the south end of the Seashore, in preparation for a car bike shuttle.
 

Delay on the bike part.  Rear tire was a tad low.  Pumped it up.  Turned around to get something from the car. POP!  What was...oh, the tire.    I had a spare.  But, I thought, do I want to do risk another flat, and not have a spare?  But I did, old tube in the car.  With a finicky value.  Good for one day, and, I'll have the spare.  Put it on the wheel, wheel on the bike.  And the twist part of the presta valve came off.  So, I had to take off a second tube, and put the one spare on.   It held.






Pedaling into the wind, it took a half hour for the six mile pedal.
At the launch, a guy said, "Rain coming at 11"   "11 I thought it wasn't coming until the afternoon" "Its Florida"
On the Lagoon at 10:10


Now, unlike on the bike, the south wind was pushing me the direction I was going.














The rain came.  Very hard for a while.  Wind did a 180.  Thunder and lightning. Not close, but on the open water, you never know. 
I considered landing, and walking to the car, but it would have been a long walk.  3 plus miles from Castle Windy. So, I kept paddling.
And, eventually, the rain stopped





Landed at the Lot 7 launch at 12:05, had a sandwich, and got the water out of the kayak.  Opening photo is from this stop.











Mergansers

Turtle Mound



My car at the kayak launch near the boat ramp. Which is being rebuilt. Boat ramp, not the kayak launch. That, and the weather, had very few boats on the Lagoon. It was 1:30.  I stayed on the water for a while.











Landed at 2:20.   Next 7 pics are back where I had launched.  Back to get my bike





The beach from Parking Lot 3.    I stayed in my car for a while at the start.  Not for rain.  Impeachment  roll call vote.  Jellyfish have more spine than Mitch. 







Armadillo at the base of Turtle Mound











Second straight Saturday I have been poured on.  Beats working.

No comments: