Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, February 20, 2021

Silver Glen and Alexander. Springs, and Runs


   The forecast for early Saturday morning was low to mid 40's in the Ocala National Forest. Perhaps there would be manatees at Silver Glen Spring.   I arrived before the gate opened at 8.  Two cars were ahead of me.  I was in the water, first.

There was a sole manatee








Snapping turtle. First one I recall seeing in Silver Glen Spring


Second snapper
T
Tilapia

The manatee swam from the spring to the rope line.. As did I.






On the water at 9.


There had been 2 eagles on  this tree.








When a guy in one bass boat says to another. "Too windy to fish in the lake"  it is no place for a kayak


















I paddled up this run for the first time, back on January 10.




Back on the 10th, I did not make it this far.  Boils.  Boils are small springs.  Water coming up from the ground causes the sand, and water, to "boil"


I continued up the run.


I have been here a million times. Well, maybe 50 plus.  But only from land.



















I did not see any manatees while kayaking

Landed at 10:35

The Natural Well Spring




Walked to Jody's Spring for the 51st time






Illustration from, The Yearling








Shell mound

I left Silver Glen, and went to Alexander Springs. I was on the water at 12:40.





















This scene almost got the cover shot.  But seeing boils I had not see before, and paddling all the way to Jody's Boils, was special.








I saw more people down stream of the bridge than I had ever seen.  Most renters turn around, there.












































Landed at 3:30






Alexander Creek is too shallow, and two far for manatees to visit. They have better options, at Salt Springs, and Silver Glen



































A fine day

No comments: