Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, February 1, 2021

Suwannee River, Lafayette Blue Springs to Suwanee River Rendezvous, January 30, 2021

Cabins in Florida State Parks are very popular.  And, if you want one over a weekend, you have to stay for two nights.  When I saw a cabin at Lafayette Blue Springs was available Saturday and Sunday, I thought, I don't have to be at work until 12:30 on Monday.  I can do this.
I arrived at the Suwannee River Rendezvous a little before 9. Could have arrived earlier, but I  drove slowly as Dan the Shuttle Man does not start until 9.   I was the only one in the van as he took me, and my kayak, to Lafayette Blue Springs State Park.  I was on the River at 9:45 



The Suwanee was high.  Blue Spring was browned out







 
Perry Spring
















Perry Spring

The Suwannee was so high, I paddled behind Perry Spring.  No 4 foot high bank.
















Hal Adams, aka The Big Blue Bridge





Telford Spring. Those are not logs,  Contrail reflections


Measuring with my paddle, the natural bridge at this spring was 4 feet under water















Paddling up Peacock Slough



I could have gone farther, but was concerned about getting disoriented.





Back on the Suwannee












Dan had said Running Springs is the first to clear.  He was right.   There are two Running Springs.  The first has a high rock wall blocking it from the River. 
Make that, "had".  I was able to paddle right in.



I have only seen this spring, up close, twice before.  Getting to it involved landing at the spring next door, swimming across the spring pool, climbing a wooden ladder, walking through the woods, scrambling down a slope to the spring.  The one time I swam in it, I did not carry my flippers as I made the overland trek.  Had them today.

As the outflow is swift, fins are a necessity.























The other Running Springs.  Did not swim here, as there were a few people.  And, as you can see, I would have had to change back into my swim trunks.




Drew Bridge. Inactive since the 1920's.




















Bathtub Springs
Easily paddled over its retaining wall.



Completing the "Paddling into Springs" voyage.  Kayaked into Convict Springs, at the Suwannee River Rendezvous. 


Landed at 3:37
Took advantage of the WIFI to share a few photos as I sat on the deck overlooking Convict Spring
4:45, at Cabin 4 (of 5) back at Lafayette Blue Springs State Park.








A walk on the Green Sink Trail


















Steaks on the grill. Well, not yet. I did let the lighter fluid burn off and the coals get hot.
Moon over the Suwannee





No comments: