Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, February 14, 2021

Wekiva River and Blackwater Creek


I was surprised to see I have not done this paddle since September 20.

On the Wekiva at 8:35

Took the side channel.  The Wekiva is browner than I ever recall seeing it.   Recent rain has washed road fill for the Wekiva Parkway project into the River. Did not clear until down River of where the side channel re-enters the main channel.  The down River confluence, there are two.










On the main channel



























Guardian of Blackwater Creek












Blackwater break













Deer couple. Saw on earlier, on the Wekiva















Back to the Wekiva




The sun peaked in and out of the clouds.  After Saturday's rain, the gators were thermo regulating. 












Big'un



Break on the Wekiva.  First people of the day passed by in a speed boat.










A bald eagle flew over this nest.  It is an osprey nest.









Landed at 2:05.

Two people asked me about hiking trails at Katie's Landing.  I directed them to the trailhead across the street.  I recognized one, and her son, from Facebook , and introduced myself.  IRL, as the kids say. In real life.  Someday, I want to IRL on the IRL. Indian River Lagoon.






30 minute walk.  Rain hit when I got in the car. 


No comments: