Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, October 16, 2021

Chassahowitzka

On the Chassahowitzka, from the Chassahowitzka River Campground, at 8:20. It was busy.


Anglers in motorboats headed for the Gulf, half a dozen, at least. kayakers going up the Chazz to the Solution Holes/ Seven Sisters Springs.  I, of course, went the other direction.


Down the Chasahowitzka

Into Baird Creek and Baird Blue Spring.  There had been one kayaker headed that way.  In a short kayak with fishing gear.  I figured I would pass him.  I did.

Into the Run from "The Crack"

And, there I was.  In The Crack.  Often, walking is required to get to this spring


No one was there.











The crack in The Crack.
A tree, under the water, over the limestone, that has been at the back end of the spring for years, is gone.

A boil

Took a video

Left the camera running

 


The guy I passed, arrived. A local. Had interesting stories about camping here in high school in the '80's





The Run from the Crack is beautiful.




Baird Creek isn't bad, either.  Especially, before the crowds arrive.  Which they were, as I was exiting.  At least, a dozen paddlers 










Back on the Chassahowitzka






Three bald eagles soared overhead



All this, and I was not in the Chasahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge.  Beyond the signs.
Osprey


Dog Island


I think I only got out here once. When I was narrower and my kayak was wider.  Years ago, I suggested they make it more kayak friendly. Fell on deaf ears, I guess. 













Crawford Creek













I think I paddled further up Crawford than I ever have.  As experienced at the Crack, water levels are still high from summer rains.  There is a section of limestone, near a home on Crawford Creek.  In low water, they are impassable.  Not even a ripple, today.


The house, on the down Creek paddle.  It is at Beetejay Spring.



Home with a walkway over the Creek. The best house in Florida.















Back on the Chaz














Osprey wading
Vulture



Crab Creek Springs







Just before the boat tamp, on the other side, a manatee.






Took a peak at Seven Sisters. Way to crowded. 






Landed at 4:11
Stopped at the Mabel Trailhead of the Van Fleet Trail on the way home.











Pedaled just over 4 miles before turning around.

Sumter/Lake County line.




Ibis







Ending the day with the moon over Mabel, 6:43 PM


No comments: