Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, October 30, 2021

Sanibel


 

To the beach at 7:30 AM




Quite a few crab trap had blown on shore after a couple windy days.
The old school ones make for a better photo than wire traps.





Sunrise is late this time of year.  Clouds meant seeing it, came even later.

Lighthouse and dolphins, classic Sanibel Island








It rained.  Rather hard.  I was under some trees on the boardwalk during the worst of it











Reward for the rain












Wire traps



About 50 minutes on the beach, pier, and at the Lighthouse
Ibis on Wildlife Drive in the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge
On the water at 10:16
I let brother Pete use the new used kayak.
I did owe him, and Jackie, for letting me stay two nights with them.





Brown pelicans on the islands across from the Wildlife Drive observation tower.


Into my secret spoonbill spot.

I figured between the wind and high tide, we were sure to see some.  We did not.


We did see more people than I had ever seen. But, not in the mangrove tunnels. So, those are still secret.



The launch site.
We did not land.
Across an area of open water.
Into Pine Island Sound.  Briefly.  Windy and wavy.

Landed at 12:13.  Along with two kayaks, I had two bikes.
Indigo Trail ride.








Back at the condo, another rainbow.



We had a swim in the Gulf. 
I do not think I have seen so many sponges on the beach. And I have been going to Sanibel for 33 years.








Beach walk, rainbow, kayak, bike, swim, another beach walk....what could top off such a day?  A visit to the Island Cow, for dinner.  Alas, Pete and Jackie had already been to my favorite eatery on the Island.

Doc Ford's paella was a more than adequate substitute. 

No comments: