Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, October 3, 2021

Santa Fe and Cedar Key


    It was too dark to take pictures as I began a walk before dawn.  So, no deer photos.   Saw three in between the two campgrounds


Kiefer Spring videos.  I was not planning a return visit, but someone questioned whether it was actually flowing, or was backed up river water.





Looked, and felt, like spring water to me.
I can now say I have been in all the springs at Gilchrist Blue Springs State Park. Just half a leg in Kiefer.  Little Blue, Naked, and Johnson are all now closed to swimming.  To protect them.



Saw more deer. Running

8 AM Park opens at 8. Time to swim before the crowd arrives


































Turtle video




In the kayak at 9:45. After breakfast and breaking camp






Into the Santa Fe River









Otters



Looking into the Ginnie Springs system. Already packed with scuba divers and tubers.  Not to mention, a barrier across the entrance to keep the high water from the Santa Fe, out.


Ginne Spring, and a better look at the same type of barrier that was at the entrance to the Devils. I wonder if they will be removed when the Santa Fe water level drops. 


Dogwood Spring


I bet the big blue sign was put up when the lower one was under water. And tubers kept going down River.

Twin Spring










Deer Spring


Headed back up the Santa Fe 









July Spring


Not a waterfall. Just a blurry photo.











Landed at 12:30
Left the Park at 1:10. Went to Ichetucknee Springs.   Only to find the South Takeout, which the Park website said would be open on October 1, was closed.  I was pissed.  Of course I informed the Park about my discontent.
I went to Cedar Kay


On the Gulf at 3:14






Roseate spoonbills in the Number 2 Channel




























The tag may have been on this boat the last time I was here. Only took about 10 years.


Spoonbills in flight









Turned back without going under the Number 3 Channel Bridge




A new wreck.  It was completely under water when I first paddled past.


















Atsena Otie Key










Cistern.  The original City of Cedar Key was  on Atsena Otie

The trail that leads to this shelter is overgrown. If I had not been here before, I would not have known it was there.


The trail is even more jungley past the shelter.  Some branches were cut, but it seems like whoever was keeping it clear, gave up.





Ruins.  The Faber Pencil company had factories on Atsena Otie in the late 19th Century.  Converting trees to slats of wood that eventually became pencils.




I never noticed the fish carved on this metal pipe before

























Landed at 6:55








No comments: