Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, December 5, 2022

Dave's Sail Stories


 I did not get my usual Monday paddle in today.  I bought a Snark Sunflower sailboat, instead.  Growing up, the family had a Sea Snark.  Easy for a kid to sail, easy to right when it capsized.  I remember one windy day on Little Lake Tomahawk when I tipped it over half a dozen times.  We would transport it on a 1973 VW Super Beetle.  With wood suction cups roof racks. When I saw one was available in nearby St. Cloud, I went to check it out. 


Astute observers will note the sailing hat.  

The owner was asking $650, which included a handmade dolly.  I asked, as I always do, why it was for sale.  Back issues.  Pete is a nice guy, as is everyone I have bought a kayak, canoe, and now, a sailboat from. 10 individuals, and 3 businesses. 

I asked if he could show me how to rig the mast, boom, and sail.  He did.  Hopefully I will remember on Friday when I put it in the water.  Ran out of time this morning.   Took 3 tries to find the best position on the roof.  Would not fit in the J Cradles.  Upside down, it was too wide. Finally, put it on upside down. Had some slight movement, reminded me of how the canoe is on the Outback. 

I asked Pete if he would take $620.  He did.  And gave me several extras.  Straps, a collapsible paddle, padding, for putting on the car when sliding it on, and for that same purpose, a dohickey that attaches to the rear window, allowing you to slide the kayak on it, to the roof top.  It was not staying attached, hopefully Windex will solve that problem. 

It is light, about 50 pounds, but its width makes it hard for one person to load.  I'll figure it out.

The Sunflower is wider than the Sea Snark I sailed 45 years ago.

Sailboats To Go » Snark Sunflower Sailboat Sold Here

Pete said it is a 2011 model.  It has the "splash deck" referred to in the above link.  He bought it from a guy in South Carolina.  He replaced the dagger board, which broke when he "turtled" the kayak.  After that, he installed foam inside the mast, for flotation, and puts a jug on the top of the mast, for the same purpose. I asked, "What's a  jug?"  He showed me a gallon plastic jug. I said I thought it was a fancy nautical term. He also has a new rudder pin, with a nice wide screw to secure it. 

I drove home at 62-63 mph.  Boat and sail stayed secure on the roof, hence the smile of relief.


As my garage is full, I moved a kayak and the canoe into the back yard. In two weeks, I am picking up a used two vessel rack from Jay R. in Naples.  I will still keep these in the yard, but the rack will take up less space.  


I might be able to just squeeze the garbage and recycle cart out of the garage.  Three more kayaks and two bikes are on the other side of the camping trailer. 

No comments: