Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, December 10, 2022

Pelican Island National Wildlife Refuge

A quick shot of the sunrise from S.P. R.A. Park just south of the Pineda Causeway.  Quick, because half the parking lot was closed, so space was limited.  My short trailer is very hard to back up.  So, I took it off the hitch, spun it around, hooked it up again, and was on my way.

Did the same thing before launching my kayak from the small dirt lot on Jungle Road in the Pelican Island National Wildlife Refuge.
On the water at 8:34















You are not allowed to approach Pelican Island.  I have a good zoom.






Mainland overlook.  I mean, barrier island, overlook.































Landed at 11:50.    Just one vehicle, other than my 2 left in the dirt parking area.  Overflowing on my arrival. Tour group.



I love maintained dirt roads like Jungle Trail.

Stop at the land portion of Pelican Island National Wildlife Refuge

Centennial Trail

.

The boardwalk, constructed in 2003, has every National Wildlife Refuge.  Beginning with the first. Pelican Island, established in 1903.






Pelican Island

As the first Refuge, Pelican Island begins the boardwalk.  Or ends, depending on your perspective

Next stop, Sebastian Inlet State Park
I was a bit surprised there are not boardwalks over the dune,










Las Olas Beach Club. Where I stayed the next 2 night with my Sanibel family
Which include blood relations, like the future astronaut/singer/firefighter/chef in the pool, and a group of friends I have been spending the 50th week of the year with since 1988.  





No comments: