Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, May 17, 2020

Atlas V to Blue Spring

I was on the Indian River, my second paddle of the day, when I thought, this my 72nd day kayaking.  I need to paddle a 72 degree spring.  So, I did.
 My first paddle was on the Indian River.  To watch a rocket launch.
My plan was to put in at the Bio Lab ramp. But, the road into the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge was closed.  Have not seen that since the Space Shuttle days.
I found a spot on the crowded Max Brewer Causeway.  On the wrong side to see the launch. Had to paddle under the bridge.

Saw a couple manatees, did not get a photo

These folks have a good spot.



Clouds and sun meant lousy photos for this launch
At least you can hear the rumble of the rocket in the video







I had never been on this side of the Causeway
Gator Creek Rd has a lot spots like the one above.

























Saw dolphins, like the manatees, no photo

Landed at 11:12.  Still a big crowd at the causeway, so I physically distanced byself


The Wildlife Refuge reopened.



A stop at an overlook.


On to Blackpoint Wildlife Drive









Trying to spot a bald eagle
Is that at a white head on the center of the pine, or just the sky?

Back on the Indian River at the Sendler Education Outpost in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.




I do not recall seeing another boat. Paddle or power.
























Sad sight, decomposing manatee.
I contacted Fish and Wildlife when I got home.

Almost 2 hours for the second paddle of the day.  Somewhere in that period, I realized this was Day 72 in a kayak.  A visit to a 72 degree spring was something I had to do.
Launched from the French Ave ramp on the St. Johns River at 4:30
Paddling all the way to Blue Spring is not allowed from 11 to 5.  Too crowded with swimmers.
So, I first went to the island across from French Ave.
I was paddling to see where a turkey flew to, when I saw the deer.

















Into Blue Spring Run


The run was empty.  I asked a ranger on the dock, "May I ?"  "You're okay, we had to kick everybody out"  Guess people were not social distancing at the recently opened Park.

Hand over the side.
Paddling 72 degree water in day 72 in a kayak.  I say, "a" kayak, because I have paddled 5 of the fleet.  Have not used my canoe.









Landed.
Walk to the Run

In the water.
























Gar






















Back in the kayak





Landed at 7:10
An only in Florida day.  Salt water and spring fed water.  Manatees, dolphins, alligators and deer.  Maybe, a bald eagle.  A swim in a freshwater spring. And, a rocket launch. 

No comments: