Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, May 2, 2020

Weeki Wachee

Opening photo is Salt Spring
 On the water from Rogers Park at 7:15.  Weeeki Wachee Springs State Park, like all State Parks, is closed.  So, I would not have to contend with renters, and others, coaming down River from the Park.


Mid 50's air temperature caused steam to rise off the 72 degree water


No manatees at Hospital Hole.  A sink hole in the River where they are often found.


With little rain, low tide, and few people coming down River for the last month, the Weeki Wachee was flowing fast and clear


In December, this was just beginning.  I wondered what was going on,
https://www.tampabay.com/news/environment/New-kayak-pull-out-area-proposed-for-Weeki-Wachee-River_164885690/?fbclid=IwAR0tfhL5iagcj7vRH7lsVUlj3EX9opqasRpHcbWiKUesPfdl9KclzlQeN3g


Snapping turtle




New, "Stay in your Vessel" sign






Gate across the kayak ramp at Weeki Wachee Springs State Park.  I have never use it.

10:04, end of the up River paddle.  Saw 3 people.  All, I assume, living on the River. I know 2 were, because I asked.  The other guy, in long skinny thing, was going to fast to ask.  I did say, 'Hey! Idle Speed!"









The new stay in your vessel sign was ignored.  As was the old one.  A group of people were out of their  boats well inside the Park boundary. Rules are in place for a reason.e


















Another look at the new take out

When I first paddled the Weeki Wachee, in January, 2006, this site, and another one just up River, was open to hikers, birders, paddlers, and more.  They have been closed for a least a dozen years due to vandalism.  I blame the  "more".  Will be interesting to see what the rental folks due to protect this

I began to see people coming up River.
Soon, a lot of people.  Hernando County Sheriff jet ski.  One of two I saw.

So much traffic, a light was required
A brief respite from the horde.




Back at Rogers Park, at 12:27.  I kept going




To the creek that leads to the Mud River


Mud River
I went upstream.  Past Mary's Fish Camp


 Looking for the run from Salt Spring. Enter a dead end canal, first.

 Found the run
 If I came to stone bridge, I was on the right track.
 What?  This is not the stone bridge.  The guy up ahead, told me the old one collapsed about 2 years ago.  I saw it in April, 2018





 I snorkeled






















So nice here, after the madness on the Weeki Wachee. I recently read a comment, "The Weeki Wachee ends at Rogers Park"  Good, keep thinking that, and spreading false information.





Back to the Mud River
Not sure if this landing is part of Mary's Fish Camp.  It is behind a fence, so could be the neighboring property.  Scouting as I would like to stay there some weekend.

The Fish Camp does have fairly low dock on the seawall


Eagle



Confluence of the Mud and Weeki Wachee. It continues to the Gulf.   I did not go that way.










Flying manatee
It was so crowed, people were hanging out in Jenkins Creek



Landed at 3:45. Rogers Park was overflowing.  Cars circling, looking for parking.  When a boat would use the ramp, everyone had to stop.  I took my time loading, used the restroom.  By the time I was ready, the traffic cleared.  I just had to tell some parents to keep an eye on their kids as I backed out.


No comments: