Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Wekiva RIver, Rock Springs Run

Bear
On the Wekiva at 5:34.  First time I entered a State Park, with a ranger station, from land, since the end of March







Rock Springs Run


I did not get very far.  These ibis are on a downed tree, blocking the Run.  If I had more time, I would have exited the kayak and stepped over it. But no need to, when I could turn around and paddle more of the Wekiva River.













Back on the Wekiva, went down River


 It is always great to see swallowtail kites

 Even better to see them roosting.
 Best to see them nest building.











 Turned around at the small shell mound.




Rearranged chairs at Wekiva Island. Social distancing.




 But for the downed tree on Rock Springs Run I would not have seen these swallowtail kites.











 The confluence.

 I heard something in the jungle to my left.
I saw a dark shape. Usually when I see a dark shape, it is a big stump
This stump had eyes that glowed red in the camera

 A bear!
 As you can see, I got a lot of photos, but thanks to the late hour and dense vegetation, no good ones







 Landed at 8:06
 I assume the red tape is for social distancing at the concession
A view of Wekiwa Spring.  The yellow warnings are for steps, been there for years.

No comments: