Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, May 10, 2020

Wekiva River and Blackwater Creek

I entered a State Park from its main, land entrance, for the first time in a six weeks.  Katie's Landing, in the Lower Wekiva River State Preserve.   Arrived before it opened at 8.  Which I have done before, and the gate has always been opened.  By the nice volunteer couple.  So, I waited for them to arrive. They did not, at least when I was there.  But, the gate is on a timer, as, at 8 AM, it swung open.  Katie's Landing is on the honor system for payment.  I put my Annual Pass on the dash.
On the Wekiva at 8:12.  An ibis
And, a roseate spoonbill!  First time I have seen one on the Wekiva River.






I never knew turkeys could be so colorful












Green heron chicks








Live, I could not figure out what the object in the gator's mouth was.  Plant? Fish?

It was not until it was on the laptop that I saw it was a snake.
Diving swallowtail kite

Another spring run?  Did not notice this on Thursday.
Before this one. That due to low water, I saw on Thursday, for the first time









Took 2 hours 8 minutes down River paddling to arrive at Blackwater Creek




Up Creek paddle



Some one has been to my break spot. I did not take a break, yet.  Wanted to keep going and find baby alligators
Mom?

Found some babies. Almost always do, in this area




Break, out of the kayak.  I expected this to be completely dry.  It was on one of my last visits, when the Creek was higher













Swamp lily



More babies














Back on the Wekiva River after almost 2 hours on Blackwater Creek
So far, gators had been skittish.  I saw twice as many as I had photos of.  Maybe, now, with the sun high in the sky, they would stay put.




The gators read my mind





Alligators of all sizes























Spoonbill, a million gators, and a deer. And just 2 people








Checking out the smaller possible spring run.  Footing was not very good. Someone else's footprints.
Back in the kayak








































I may have seen more gators than I even have on the Wekiva.  Less water for them to be under, and no boat traffic





Landed at 2:24
Went for a walk







 I do not remember the trail being so sandy for so long. Not that I walked very far.




 Thirty minute walk.
 You think they could have put the emergency contact numbers on the bottom of the beautiful Eagle Scott painting and history of Katies Landing,

No comments: