Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, May 3, 2020

Wekiva River, Rock Springs Run

Not the usual paddle for this title.  Up from Wilson's Landing
On the water at 8:14 AM.  On Friday, Kings Landing, on Rock Springs Run, reopened.  However, they were not running shuttles, and limiting how far renters could paddle down Run before coming back.  Unless anyone sought out the services of Wekiva Outfitters, based at Wilson's Landing, I figured I would have a good chance of seeing no one on Rock Springs Run.  There was the minor issue of paddling 8 miles up the Wekiva River to get there, but, I had all day.   Had a nice chat with Greg, the owner of Wekiva Outfitters.  He offered to shuttle me to Highbanks Landing, on the St. Johns, but my mind was set.
As I set out, I felt a twinge in my back.  Great.  It only hurts when I stand up.  As usual, it has got worse.  Of course, as I write this two days later, I did kayak both days.
Limpkin
Vultures




















Saw a swallow tailed kite with nest building material



Passing the Little Wekiva (I think)










Buffalo Tran Campsite















Not many people on the Wekiva. About a handful, at this point.




Wekiva Island.  Closed

Boaters, just before Rock Springs Run
Wekiva Run, left, Rock Springs Run, right, merging to form the Wekiva River
It was 11:57 AM. I had told myself, I would paddle upstream for 4 hours, or until I got to Otter Camp.  I decided to paddle past the 4 hour point.














The two miles to Otter Camp were beautifully empty
Arrived at Otter Camp at 1:15.  5 hours
I was starving.   I left my sandwich and cookies on the kitchen counter
Good thing there are 2 bars in a package.  Ate one, saved the other for later

Back in the kayak at 1:40 for the 10 mile down stream paddle back to Wilson's Landing

























I was the only one on this part of Rock Springs Run

I told these people it looked like the frikkin Weeki Wachee
Asked some kayakers where they launched. "River Bend"  A private parcel just down River of Wekiva Island.


The gentleman in the red shirt, along with his wife, own Wekiva Island.
Passing paddlers asked, "When will you open?"  "It will be a while, because we have a bar"....seems to me they could just open the ramp.  Which, they are doing. From the Wekiva Island Facebook page:
We are excited to announce that we will be reopening our food truck and canoe/kayak livery at 8 a.m. Friday, May 8. We will be closing at 8 p.m. on the weekends and 7 p.m. during the week. To keep you safe, our bar and general store will remain closed, and social distancing will be the new normal. We are looking forward to providing you all a chance to enjoy some great food and physical activity on the beautiful Wekiva River. Stay tuned for more details!

Not River Bend, but I saw a guy put a boat in here.  Next door to Wekiva Island












Power boat activity was pretty busy. At least 10 boats and a few jetskis. All slowed when they saw me.  Sadly the traffic stirred up the water, making it less clear than it had been in the morning

a





Took a short break at Buffalo Trama






























 Moon rise


 Just a pinch between the cheek and gum














Crab trap?



Landed at 6:17.   10 hour day  Gladly accepted the offer from Jim, of Wekiva Outfitters to help lifting the kayak on the car,

No comments: