Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Friday, April 3, 2020

Indian River

Researching places to launch these days, I came across the Sendler Educational Outpost, in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.  I have driven past it a million times on the way to Haulover Canal.  The Refuge website said the launch area at the Canal was closed, but the Bairs Cove Ramp was open.  When I entered the Refuge, a sign stated Bairs Cove was closed.
The Sendler site was open. I was on the Indian River at 5:20
Social distancing complied with.  I did not see anyone.  Until, after getting out on the water, I did see and angler in the next shore clearing from where I put in.

I wondered why rocks were along the shore.  Because it is a roadbed,






















Vehicle Assembly Building












White pelicans






















A nice 2 hour, 10 minute paddle.  The launch site is in a cove, that opens up into a larger cove, before that opens up into the Indian River.  I will be back.

No comments: