Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, April 12, 2020

Econlockhatchee River

Low water has exposed spring boils I have not seen in almost 15 years kayaking the Econ.  I first paddled it on April 13, 2005.
 Dropped the kayak at the 419 Bridge. Drove to the Snow Hill Road Bridge.  Left the car, got on the bike.  Went a few hundred yards.  Back tire was low.  Back to the car to pump it up.  On the road for good at 8:33.



 At the launch at 8:58.  Just over 5 miles.
 I saw the above canoe on a trailer as I was leaving Snow Hill.  Good to know Greg P. of Adventures in Florida had some business.  Or, so I thought.
 On the water at 9:07.  First time on the Econ since last May














This is likely the outflow from an oxbox pond I paddled past





 I saw a post about these boils by Greg, of Adventures in Florida.   I just happened to run  aground next to them/



I have never seen these in 15 years. Shows how low the Econ is.





























 Turns out Greg dis not have business this morning.  A busman's holiday.  With his son, Gator, who was bow and arrow fishing for tilapia and plecos. At this point, he did not have any fish.
 When I saw them at the takeout, and offered to help with the canoe, Greg said they had it.  Not to mention, it was full of blood from 12 plecos. Invasive armored catfish.  Greg had some business, a shuttle to run a bit later.  He is shuttling no more than 2 people, who sit in the back of the van.  No tours.





































As you have seen, there were a lot of alligators out. On almost every bend in the river. Often, a pair.









Happy Easter

Stopped at the Flagler Trail Bridge for lunch






















Another spring. Saw this one for the first time, last year.















Landed at 1:30.  Don't think I have ever seen so many cars at the bridge. A nearby parking lot for the Little Big Econ State Forest is closed.  So people were parking here to access the river side bike trail and to fish and swim.  Further down Snow Hill Road, the Seminole County Flagler Trail lot was open.  Not full.

No comments: