Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, April 19, 2020

Tomoka Loop

This paddle usually starts at Tomoka State Park. But, that Park, along with all Florida State Parks, is closed due to Covid-19.  I put in at Sanchez Park, an Ormond Beach facility.
 Not a lot of parking at Sanchez.  About 4 spaces for trailers, the same for cars.  People were parked on the street and the dirt road between the ramp and the rest of the park.  That is where I parked. Next to a deep mud puddle from Saturday's rain.  On Strickland Creek at 9:38



 Paddling north











 Entering the Tomoka River.   Only I thought it was the Halifax River.  I do not do this paddle often.  And only one other time, from Sanchez Park.  Tomoka River State Park is on a peninsula, between the Halifax and Tomoka Rivers.  I had it in my head that Strickland Creek exits near the top of the peninsula.
 I thought the Tomika River, which I was on would be to the west.

Man made canals, some dating to colonial times, add to the confusion

 I entered a natural dead end. Landed and entered shade so I could see a map on my phone

 Still thinking I was on the Halifax.  Paddled back and forth a few times




State Park docks, I finally figured out where I was.  On the Tomoka River.  Strickland Creek enters it well south of where the Tomoka and Halifax converge



 State Park dock at the boat ramp


 Now, time to find Thompson Creek.  Which, I was thinking, started with R, Richardson, or Robertson.


 Very windy on the wide Tomoka River



 Thompson Creek.  After a few false starts.  The key, look for something that is more creeky-windy, than canaly-straight





 More people on Thompson than I have ever seen. 6-8 boats





Landed at 4:47.  Much later than I expected.  I really need to look at maps when I go to places I have not been to for a while.

The Outback, parked next to a mud puddle, was covered in mud. Which is to be expected, on the side next to the puddle.  Mud on the other side, that's just assholes.

No comments: