Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Friday, April 24, 2020

Dora Canal

It was my plan all along to paddle the Dora Canal, and the lakes it links, after work, Friday.  However, it was raining, all day, coast to coast.  I looked at a couple alternatives.  Silver River, and Turkey Creek.  Dora Canal had the best forecast.  And, the shortest drive.  Not to mention, protection from wind gusts.

On the water, from Summerall Park in Tavares, at 3:12 PM.  Rain stopped, and the wind died down.
Continuing on a theme, I thought I would make the short paddle to Lake Dora, first.  Of course, I went the other direction.
Towards Lake Eustis


Highway 19
























Highway 441

Into Lake Eustis


My cure is kayaking


I wanted to paddle to the Dead River, and take that to Lake Harris.  But it began to sprinkle, and the skies were not pleasant looking, so I turned around














A side canal



Another side canal












Final side canal



















Wait, this was the last side canal














Lake Dora



I have seen bald eagles here, there's one





Once again, the chance of a storm on a big lake made me turn around.  No rain this time.  Earlier, it rained, lightly for 20 minutes or so,











Just about to enter the canal, and there was a bald eagle 
And there it goes










Landed at 6:25.  I think this was my first time paddling the Dora Canal without something else on the agenda.  Either the Mount Dora Blues Festival, or a stop on the way to somewhere else for the weekend, or after watching George K. in the Horizon League Golf Tournament at Mission Inn. Unlike those times, I almost had the canal, and lakes, to myself.  Two boats on Lake Eustis, one, probably the same pontoon boat I saw on Lake Eustis, in the Dora Canal

No comments: