Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, April 11, 2020

Withlacoochee

Blurry picture at 6:45 AM.  Sign reads:  ATTENTION. RECREATIONAL BOATERS MUST BE AT LEAST 50 FEET APART. EACH VESSEL MUST HAVE NO MORE THAN 10 PEOPLE ABOARD. As I was not in a dragon boat, I was good.
First time I have launched from the Spruce Street ramp.  Just a 3 mile, up River paddle to Blue Spring. In the past, I have paddled 6.5 down stream to Blue Spring.
The With is low.  Lots of exposed limestone.


State Road 200 Bridge







Limpkin



A spring run.  I would have to investigate later.  Wanted to get to Blue Spring before the crowds.





Blue Spring

No crowd, just a nice neighborhood lady.





Lots of sand and other material being blown up by the spring's discharge































The local lady said the local kids, out of school, have been trashing the place.  I was glad I got out of bed at 4:30 AM.  I saw a Facebook post, after I got home, that said 70 people were at the spring.



Mile post. Citrus Big Blue Spring is at mile 29










Alligator







Stopped at the spring run I saw earlier
Mucky bank, tightened my sandal straps.

Muck was the least of my problems.   I fell, coming inches from getting  impaled on a cypress knee.
I thought, maybe I should stop.  I did not.  For a few more yards.  The source of the spring run will have to remain a mystery.  It is marked on the DEP Paddling Trail map.









Black crowned night heron





Down river was much easier than up







Mile Marker 26, 3 miles from Blue Spring












I landed at 11:12.   Three kayakers were putting in. I had seen 2 boats on the Withlacoochee River.  A jon boat with 3 guys.  Drinking Busch, perhaps the vanguard of the afternoon mob at the spring.  Another guy, fishing from a canoe.  The small parking lot was full, boat trailers.  They all went down river towards the Gulf
Covid 19 closure on the way home


No comments: