Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, January 22, 2022

Silver Glen, Juniper Creek, Alexander Creek


 1425

Began the day with a walk on the Yearling Trail.







 





There was one car already at Silver Glen Springs when I arrived.  Lucky for me, they were wasting time putting on wet suits.  I spent some time at the entry station debating whether or not to geta Spring Hopper Pass, now that I have a National Parks Senior Pass.  The Pass gives you half off entry fees at recreation areas in the Ocala National Forest.  I decided to spend the $70 plus tax.
 
In the water at 8:20
Mullet and manatee
This underwater fence at the Natural Well Spring is new to me.  It has always been off limits.  "Always" meaning at least since 2005, when I first visited.





The vents of Silver Glen Spring





I had the spring to myself

Well, myself and some manatees. 



















Out of the water at 8:35.  Took off my wet swimsuit, and took the kayak off the car under the gaze of an eagle couple



On the water .


Manatees from the kayak.  By now, several wet suited people were in the water.  People who hate wildlife.  "Stop petting it, just stand there so I can get a picture"  Manatees need to bite. They aren't pets. 






Down Silver Glen Run










No kayaks or canoes. Two fishing boats.




Lake George




Bald eagle


I was not on the big Lake for long. Wind kicked up, and the waves got big.





Back in Silver Glen Run.  Only about a mile from Spring to Lake


A side creek

Back in the Run



















The run from Jody's Spring.  That would be Jody Baxter, of, "The Yearling"











No wading sign













Back in Silver Glen Run








Landed put the kayak on the car, and went for the second walk of the day.



















This is why I was not kayaking on Lake George











Lake George is big. 5 miles wide, 18 miles long




Not sure if these are Indian middens or road debris along the Lake George Trail

Red bellied woodpecker


Natural Well spring


The boils I paddled over earlier.  You may have seen these, even if you have never been to the Ocala National Forest.
Opening scenes of "The Yearling"



















This is a Shell Mound


Entry fees have really gone up. Over 8 dollars during the week, 11 plus on weekends.  Glad I bought the Spring Hopper Pass. I think I will get my money's worth.  It is a shame, though, it is no longer good at Salt Springs.  Different concessionaire.   Good at Silver Glen. Juniper Springs, Alexander Springs, Mill Dam Lake, Wildcat Lake, and Clearwater Lake.

1:45, on Juniper Creek from Juniper Wayside. No fee required. 



Sweetwater Spring entrance. I paddle in, but people were on the dock, so I left.






Little Sweetwater Spring







I think the new spring, formed in 2008, needs a name. Rapid Spring, maybe.
.
.


Headed down Juniper Creek














.

This section of the creek has a flat limestone bottom.  Almost looks like a road.

















Landed at 3:35.  I was the only person on Juniper Creek.  3 guys had landed as I was launching.
An hour later, I was launching from the newly improved launch area at the 445 Bridge over Alexander Creek. 



Another eagle.








Alexander Spring


















Lots of steam as warm water met the cool air.



Landed for the last time of the day at 5:47

No comments: