Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, January 2, 2022

Suwannee, Little River to Branford


 With a detour to Ruth Springs

But, first, a last walk on the Green Sink Trail at Lafayette Blue Springs State Park



This small sink hole is off the Park Road, past the ranger station.
 
Blue Spring









Little River Spring.  Dropped off the kayak

Went for a swim



















In the car, drove to Ivey Memorial Park in Branford

Got on the bike, leaving the car at Ivey Memorial Park in Branford-


Good thing I was on my road bike. Christmas lights were strung low across the Suwannee River Greenway bike trail.

Maybe that why there was an orange cone at the both ends of the Holiday Display


Nice buffer between trail and road





Off the trail for the last 1.5 miles to Little River Springs




Back at Little River
In the kayak
Only about 5 miles down the Suwannee to Branford, so I went up River to start 









To the run to Ruth Springs.


Sometimes it is too shallow, or obstruced, to make it to the spring.
A pair of scuba divers. First ones I have seen at Ruth Springs.  I asked if the vent opened up into a cave. "That's what we heard. Our first time"

     

Divers entering the cave





Cave entrance



The scuba divers were not in the cave for long. "Restricted and silty". Would need to try with a side mount.  Scuba tank on your side, not on your back.

Paddling back to the Suwannee





On the Suwannee






Little River Springs










 
Boat ramp at Patrician Oaks.  The take out if using the shuttle service at Suwannee River Rendevous











A spring run


In the past I have got out of the kayak and walked p the shallow run, trying to locate the source. Have not found it.





Back on the Suwannee



"Unnamed Spring" on my map.  Hand over the side photo. I did swim in this sulphur spring the first time I found it. That was enough.




Tiny turtle. Turtles, and a few birds, were the only wildlife I was seeing. Which is typical of the wide, deep, and forested Suwannee River.


Only alligator of the Holiday Weekend






Another spring run










Branford Spring





The spring is just up River of the boat ramp at Ivey Park
Landed at 3.
Looking at the Suwannee from the Rock Bluff Boat ramp. My first time here.


I decided to drive, instead of paddle, to nearby Rock Bluff Spring.


3 people were at the Rock Bluff Spring. Well, 4. 3 generations of a family, and me.   I said  "Hi" to the kid, Jacob, as I entered the water. "How did you know my name?"  "Because we've been yelling at you for 20 minutes to get out" Said dad.




Rock Bluff Spring has a good sized vent





Big cypress trees in the spring pool are an interesting feature














No comments: