Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, January 23, 2022

Rock Springs Run


 In the 17 years I have owned a kayak, I have seen as many bald eagles on Rock Springs Run as monkeys.  One. Until today.

Launched from Camp Joy at 9 AM
Paddled up Rock Springs Run
Passed 4 people in 3 kayaks on the way.





Kelly Park, Second Landing.  I would be on the other side, later in the day.


Down Run


















Passing where I launched, and continuing down Rock Springs Run


Into Wekiwa Springs State Park








































Leaving the State Park waters







Landed at 12:05

Lunch in Kelly Park.  Deciding if I should snorkel.  In the past, I have snorkeled first, then, put the kayak in.  Last time I did that, the upstream paddle to the Second Landing was way to crowded.  Today it was cool, still in the 40's at noon, so I figured few, if any would be in the water.

I decided to snorkel.  But first, had to take a walk


To the Second Landing, which is where I would get out of the water. This is not a swim around in a pool snorkel.  This is ride the currrent from Point A to Point B.  Then, walk back.  I have always walked back, wet, in my swimsuit. But,  I'm getting wimpy in my senior years.
So, I left an extra swimsuit, shirt, sandals, and towel at the 2nd Landing takeout
Walk back to the First Landing. The pool area


Took off my pants, jacket, and walked to the Spring.



Into the water. 




























Bridge

Bridge shadow

























Take out, after 20 minutes in the water


Shoes and shirt at the put in









The clouds cleared.  Others, much younger than I, were now in the water.

No comments: