Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, January 16, 2022

Summerland- Wahoo Keys, Long Key State Park



Breakfast view

I left Monica and Bills with the intention of kayaking at Sombrero Beach in Marathon.  It was very windy, and there are nearby mangrove tunnels.  But, as I drove, the wind was coming off the Atlantic.  Sombrero Beach is on the Ocean side.  To get to the mangroves, you have to paddle in fairly wide channel.  So, I decided to put in on the Florida Bay side, at Summerland Key.  
It was very windy






My brother in law, Scott built a bridge that connected Summerland Key to Wahoo Key. It lasted about 30 years.  Hurricane Irma, took it out.  I have seen its remains, washed up in the mangroves.  Today, it was too hard to look for any sign of it. Not only was the wind howling, but the tide was ripping through the channel between Summerland Key and Wahoo Key. 



 

I was only on the water 30 minutes.

Next stop, West Summerland Key. A flamingo had been spotted there.  As recently, as Saturday.








No flamingo, but a neat place to visit.  Nice section of the Overseas Heritage Trail






Next stop, Long Key State Park.  On the Atlantic side. There is a lake like area behind the big water.  I thought it would be relatively protected.


There is marked trail.
I saw post 1, than 2. than 6? Some are either missing, or I am navigationally challenged.  I decided to head back, before the rain came.  
When I turned around, the wind was some of the strongest I ever paddled into.  I made a few wrong turns, not realizing how far the wind had pushed me out.


After an hour on the water, I made it back to the launch site, just as the rain began.
No sense driving in the rain.  So I went for a walk.


Golden Orb trail. Named for the spider, also known as banana spider.   The Park's website says since Hurricane Irma, they are rarely seen.




The Atlantic



The 1.2 mile loop showcases several different environments

A good section was flooded.
So, my shoes and socks got wetter.




The good thing about the wind and rain, no mosquitos !. The rain ended when I got back to the car.  I loaded the kayak, and headed home.  

No comments: