Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, October 10, 2020

Haw Creek

I had kayaked Haw Creek once before.  In June, 2014.  I saw some pictures posted by some friends last week, and decided it was time to return.
Six years ago, I wrote:  Any place that has a 2 mile dirt road to get there, I like.  

Haw Creek Preserve is a State Park, but the launch, Russell Landing, is a Flagler County facility.  I was on the Creek at 11:10.

Paddled up the Creek

A boardwalk with 4 overlooks follows the Creek.















Part of the way I paddled what had to be a canal. Arrow straight, with high banks. The dirt from what was dug out, I assume.


County Road 305.  I turned around.   Time was 12:28























I saw just 2 private lots on this part of Haw Creek







Back at Russell Landing, 1:43.  I kept going.






It rained. Hard, for a while.














Other than 3 jet skis, no one else was on the water.  There was a kayaker, who launched just before me.  He went down Creek, when I went up.
 









I had thoughts of paddling to Dead Lake, and Crescent Lake.  But, more rain came, so I turned around.  The rain did not last long.











Landed at 4:07


Took a walk, gingerly, on the wet boardwalk.





On the way to the Landing, there was a turnoff, with a gate, and a sign with a tent icon.  This has to be the campsite.  The Flagler County website does say there is a group site at Russell Landing. 











6 years ago, I saw a deer under the boardwalk.  This time, alligators were more likely.  Little dry land.




Gator on the bank near an overlook.  Had to be the same one I had seen from the kayak
It went into the Creek.


Covid 19 precautions?
I think the virus would be more likely in the confined space of the Metro.  Outhouse, to you non-Milwaukeeans,




No comments: