Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, October 24, 2020

Snake Creek Loop


 I had not been to Blue Springs State Park for a few months.  Down River at Astor, the St. Johns River has been at, or above flood stage since mid summer.  

As I was getting in the water, a man asked, "Did they remove the alligator?"  Heck if I know.  But, I figured, if an alligator was in the water, the spring run would be closed to swimming.






I stayed in the center of the run, just in case.  The water was not as clear as usual. as water from the St. Johns River was coming into the Run. I decided to stop at the entry steps, and scan the water, before continuing.
I saw this canoe, and thought, they are letting people in, the gator must have gone into the River. Not having my glasses on, I did not see it was Park workers, looking for the alligator. They asked if I had seen it. No, I replied, how big is it?  A little one, 6 feet.0000000
No one,  even kayakers, were being allowed into the Run.

At 9:24, I was in my kayak



Which was still closed at the swim area.
The manatee did not say where the gator was.
Crowded for October
After saying hi to Bill Durkin, leading a tour for Adventures in Florida, I headed up the St. Johns



Saw a pair of manatees before entering Snake Creek




A paddler coming the other way, told me it was clear.                                                  














A brief stop to pee and get a sandwich out of my cooler.
This bench is new. Built in March, according to the Eagle Scout plaque.  Just before the virus

Hontoon Dead River













Canal to the St. Johns

















Back on the St. Johns








Landed at 1:55.
Time to go on a bike ride.


















End of the Blue Springs section of the Spring to Spring Trail
I wonder if whover owns the house in the woods is holding out for more money to allow the trail to continue through his property.

Lake Beresford Park Trail





Back on the Springs Trail








About an 8 mile ride.
As I was parked at the Pine Island trailhead, I could not resist a short walk.







Saw turkeys in here










No comments: