Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Thursday, October 22, 2020

Suwannee River, Cave Dive Camp to Branford


Checking on the kayak, 8:23 AM. The only drawback about Cave Dive Camp is the steep bank. My kayak was mostly on the limestone bank, stern in the River. Two ropes held through the night.
Still there an hour later when we returned from Ivey Memorial Park in Branford.  I left the Outback and trailer, road back to Cave Dive Camp with Sean.  Saw deer on the ride back.
Starting the 12 mile paddle at 9:32




















Mearson Springs
















Adams Tract River Camp








Adams Tract Launch (I think)







Boiling Spring













Rat snake.  Would not have seen it had I entered Troy Spring at my usual spot.  But, the water was fairly high at the concrete ramp, and the footing was mucky. So, I took the long way from the dock to the main entrance to Troy Spring



Troy Spring






I do not think I have ever had a better view of the remains of the Madison.  Scuttled in the run during the Civil War













Old photo of a more intact Madison


Where I usually enter the spring when arriving by kayak.


















Ruth Springs Run


First time I have been able to kayak into Ruth Springs














































Little River Spring



















Patrician Oaks Ramp.  I have taken out here a few times. Not today


Red shouldered hawk











A spring
Had to climb over a downed tree and step through some muck to get in it.














A spring run?




Another spring run?

US 27 Bridge











Branford Spring





Landed at 5:07

Took a dip in Branford Spring. 

Not the prettiest spring, but nice to have snorkeled in 6 springs this day. Mearson, Troy, Ruth, Little River, Branford, and Mucky Sulphur Spring.  The last one noted as, "Unnamed Spring on the Suwannee
River Wilderness Trail Guide and Map





Talking to a guy at Ivey Memorial Park, I learned that through paddlers can camp here.  Good to know. 
Kayak/canoe racks confirm camping is allowed.

No comments: